Monday, January 21, 2008

January already??!

It's about this time of year I think people get used to no postings getting done in the blogs, with a few exceptions like Charlie Farrow, Brian Matter who always have something going on and fortunately apparently time to write.
What's been going on in the 5 weeks since last showing signs of my existance? Well, hmmm.....

--There's been the great winter biking booots made by Lake that have kept me out and biking way longer than at any point in my previous winter training. Can't say enough about them -- only when it's finally hitting the single digits and subzero's have I needed to retreat indoors. Have some great stories to share...only too much time has passed to give 'em much detail. Maybe later.
--I have to secretly admit that I may have also tried on ...ah yes, ok, I'll say -- CX ski's. Not telling how much time I've spent on them, or if it's been enjoyable or not. I'll let the nordic nuts figure that out when & if I show up at the start line of one of their races. It'll probably be a love/hate thing... love me for coming over to the dark side, hate me if I do too well. :)
--Been cross training pretty heavy this year on top of base riding -- alot of weight training & core training each week, along with a full season of volleyball and basketball leagues. I'm feeling good, strong and flexible. Being injury free is a wonderful thing.
--Immune system has been taking a beating up til early this year however. Probably 6+ colds since Sept, the last one finally put me over the edge to say enough is enough, so I finally took a 10 day break early this month that was well needed. The R&R seems to have done the trick.
--Bike dreaming has been working over time -- some cyclist are happy with any two wheels to race on. I unfortunately need the two wheels. The '04 Fuel 100 MTB served me well and the Salsa Mamasita 29er is fun to ride but for '08 a new race machine is in the works.... what will it be? Catch up again in a month or so to find out.

Otherwise I'm having a great time with the wife & kids this winter. Got a huge 16' X-mas tree dragged into the house with the help of my dad this year, went right to the top of the vaulted ceiling. Looked pretty darn good for getting one the old fashioned way -- treking through the woods, sawing it down and hauling it a quarter mile out to the truck & trailer. I'll should post pictures of Marshall & Hope standing next to it for perspective.
Kate & I went to a New Years Eve party in Duluth and had a great time -- you come to appreciate the adult time you get once you have kids as it comes fewer and farther between.

Lastly, Looking into the upcoming cycling season I'm actually nicely ahead of schedule and that was part of the plan with Jan & Feb traditionally having streaks of really tough weather, did alot of work in December and won't be getting a late start like the previous two seasons. Also the MTB racing schedule I've got planned has an extended break in July this year so I'm going to take a mid year break that hopefully will let me start earlier and do well in May & June but also recharge me for Aug on thru cyclocross racing in the fall. But with still only a few full seasons under my belt each year is one big experiment after another.

Thinking about those of you I'll be seeing again in the next few months. Who'll be back? Whose life has changed so they disappear never to resurface again. What new faces will we meet? And most of all wishing each and everyone of you all the best in this off-season and transition period back to training, whenever that may be for you. So whenever you do get back on the two wheel mechanism be sure to ..... ride hard and keep the wheels down!

No comments: