Saturday, July 26, 2008

Chippewa Valley FireCracker

Like in real fireworks sometimes the anticipated “blast” becomes a “poof”. That’s much of what the 2008 edition of the Chippewa Firecracker held in store. In the training program I follow it had me coming off a rest week which theoretically should have made for some fresh legs and a great race. Rather the legs were a bit starchy and a fast opening lap had me backing off half way through. After dropping 4-5 spots I got back in the groove and followed John Fang (BKB rider) who was pushing it really well until he rounded a turn too hot & slide out just over half way thru lap 2. Feeling like some mojo was coming back I took to the front and pounded through lap 3 gapping two chasers. That worked well until the end of lap three when 2 additional riders caught back up and I messed up a water bottle & gel flask handoff. It doesn’t take long to lose 100 yards and the energy required to close it back down can be extremely consuming. I was able to get a few places back by the middle of lap 4 but the culmination of the hot day, and consistently running low on water each lap had me pretty zapped coming in the last few miles.
From each race you hopefully learn some lessons, pack up the experience and better know how to tackle it on the next go around.

No comments: