Saturday, October 22, 2011

BayCross Day 1….

First cyclocross race I’ve been able to get into this year went pretty well.  Day one of Ashland’s annual BayCross weekend.  More on specific details on the race later, but felt surprisingly good & was able to pull away early on from Nikoli Anikin, Mason Basco, Shawn Gort & a few others. 

The numbers in training lately have really taken a unexpected jump despite quite a bit of downtime since the end of August.  Alittle recovery time after 9 months of training will do that I supposes. Also guess it translated well over to the race.  Took an unfortunate spill about half way thru and tore up my elbow & fore arm & twisted my handlebars but was able to stay focused and finish things out.  The race again went on the long side as I screwed with the timer/lap counters throwing down a super fast 1st lap and backing off on successive laps – hence an overestimate of how many laps to do 60minutes of racing.  My powertap computer showed 1hr 17min finish time… no wonder I was on the verge of bonking in those last two (of 10) laps.  I was having flashbacks to 2009 when Jesse Bell came from way back on me that 1hr 20min BayCross Day 1 race marathon.

This year another great bunch of guys (&gals) showed up, the atmosphere of the race and size of it is great.  So nice to have it so close by. 

Looking forward to day 2… better rest up, the battle for the weekend prize money concludes tomorrow.  Should be another good one…

No comments: