Friday, March 2, 2012

Counting on stuff… product reviews… sharing what’s worked.. & what hasn’t..

Year after year equipment & bike manufacturers come out with ideas & product of what they feel makes your life better.

I shop like anyone else, looking for the silver bullet of what’s gonna be that perfect piece of equipment, be it bike, components, etc.  I’m also curious what other riders/racers experiences have taught them.  Not the “endorsement” answers of how great something is justified because a rider put down a whole lotta dough so they feel obligated to call it great.  Or a sponsored rider who for all intents & purposes had better say the stuff he/she rides is great. 

What’s the real experience?

No one, no matter how much they ride, has the all extensive answers of what works but I thought to share some my own experiences given the probably 50,000 miles I’ve put on equipment over the past decade.

I judge a product all the way around but if I had a bias it’s for something that doesn’t require much if any maintenance & is durable… bikes can be fun to fix & work on… but they are made for riding.  And no one these days seems to have an excess amount of time to always take care of bikes.

What sticks out?

--Saddles:  At the cost of my own dime, I’ve had amazingly great experience with italian saddle maker Fizik .  Introduced to them after a bike fitting & analysis of my riding style after a bad case of patella tendonitis in my knees.  The curvature & design supports proper hip & back alignment when riding better than any other saddle I’ve had.  My suggestion never underestimate the value of a great saddle for your riding, training or racing.   If you have problems that are directly or indirectly related to the saddle you’re riding, I’d not hesitate suggesting giving Fizik saddles a try.  Everybody’s backside is shaped differently of course but don’t discount how much the right saddle can improve your biking experience.

 

--Wheel hubs:  What makes my list here my come at a surprise...  Cycleops Powertap hubs – for all the componentry, electronics you’d think it’d take a lot of T.L.C. to keep them running smoothly.  On the contrary, it’s been one of the smoothest, low/no maintenance wheel/hub ever!  You get spoiled having to do almost nothing with it.  It costs a bit, but you would have power metering device, and save time & money in the long run in my opinion.

--honorable mention on wheelsets: would go to Bontrager Race X lite wheels, older model hubs (read into this..DT Swiss made ones) pretty long lasting & durable.  Wheels/rims can stay true year after year after year.   I’ve not had luck with the new carbon ones yet however.

 

--Brakes (hydraulic):  For low to no maintenance, sorry SRAM/Avid product fans… it ain’t you.  Shimano & Haynes have given me the best experience in that department.  To the point even if SRAM improves their product..I’m not overly interested in trying them again.  I think that’s a hugely point that important for manufacturers to consider before sending a product out.  You give a cyclist a bad or less than satisfactory experience with a product if not once but certainly twice, it’ll be hard to pull them back to giving it a try again.

 

--Shifters/cables: I think shifters come down to personal preference and you can’t do them wrong.  However cables?  Do yourself a favor, when you need to replace some… put on Gore Ride On cables  -- they are a sealed cable, super smooth, and a huge probability they are the last set of cables you’ll ever have to replace on the bike. (Again back to my bias… get it down once & never have to deal with it again… leaves more time to ride.)  Sure they cost more, but this is one thing where I say if you’re not going to regret spending more on.  Ever.

 

Nothing much else comes to mind right now…  Fizik saddles, Cycleop Powertap hubs & Gore Ride On cables…. very good stuff.

This year I’ll be giving two or three new products a try.  Including Quarq Power meter cranks, possibly a Enve Carbon MTB tubeless wheelset. 

Another day I’ll lean more into what I’ve not had such good experience with.  Right not I got a tooth to fix……“bling is the thing”…

IMG_2717CAGYRGYC

No comments: