Wednesday, October 20, 2010

BayCross Day 1.... racing like an animal... or being chased by one?

Sorry for the delay on the recaps, life seems to get in the way. Still working on finding time to get the video up too. UPCross has a write up on the Baycross weekend as well -- (thanks for sharing your space guys!)

With the le-monds start at Day 1 of Baycross, I figured to put my bike as far out from the start line as reasonably possible. My days of sprinting around the bases & playing outfield this summer would come in handy. The plan was simple -- get to the bike first, drive it hard and see who would be coming along for the ride. Nikoli & Shawn were the logical assumptions of who would be going out strong riding cross bikes while I was on my hardtail Gary Fisher Superfly. But it could have been anybody as Big Mike Weisphenning showed us a couple years back leading us with his big splash into the infamous "mud hole". (I know someone must have a pic of that.)

My plans nearly went to crap off the start as I could not clip in for the life of me, 1,2,3,4,5 times until I finally got the pedal to clip. I quickly looked over my left shoulder & saw Big Mike coming up, so I put my head down & just went. Based on how well Nikoli had road the WORS MTB series finale the previous weekend & the unknown element of how well Shawn could be riding I'd told Kate before the race I may not be feeling 100% but today I'm going to probably go out really hard and make someone work equally hard to catch me. The plan was not to towing anyone around today if
possible and revise the game plan if I was caught.

In years past the first stretch over a 200-300 meter open field has a cross/head wind which I've used to push hard & get gaps.... this year it was a cross/tail wind and with a bunch of cross bikes hunting down my poor little MTB. Crap! Guess that meant I had to go even harder. I entered the field with 20 yard gap maybe. And just went for it. After the race, Russ Trip asked me "Just what did you have in your water bottle, are we going to need you to pee in a cup?" I told him it must have been the tainted beef I got from my buddy 'Berto. :) It was just one of those days where you have "it" -- I just hammered on that section and it even surprised me because I felt like I was just able to keep pouring it on.

Whatever gap I could muster I was working on holding or increasing. The next section of the course was a flat gravel railroad grade before entering the rough & rocky trail & the mud hole affectionately named "the Pit of Despaire". I looked over my shoulder again & saw racer after racer rolling up on the railroad grade... again thinking "crap" they're going to hammer this on those 'cross bikes. So I put in another big effort......must get to Pit of Despaire, must get to Pit of Despaire, must get to Pit of Despaire, sort of a mantra playing in my head. I slid into the corner that turned onto mud hole trail and didn't look back. With the exception of a few racers I likely had the advantage riding this section. I blasted down the rocky decline, kept a loose by reasonable grip on the handle bars and prayed I took the right line as I spray mud, dirt & water for yards in all directions. My front wheel went in well, held the line & I got through -- soaked but smiling. Downshifted a bit for the incline out the Pit and went back to full speed.

At this point I realized I'm "in". I'd committed myself to an hour effort by myself, I just prayed they'd estimate the lap count on target & I wouldn't "Bell-isized" like I was last year in our hour 22 minute marathon 'cross race. (Bell-isized is a term of getting the short end of the stick by two Bells....one is the final lap bell, the other was Jesse Bell the rider that overtook me in the marathon that was last years day 1 BayCross race).

Though I'd look back occasionally, after that point I mainly just wanted to get into the flow and ride steady from that point onward. At the first lap switchbacks I guesstimated perhaps a 20 second gap. I'm thinking, wow this is a pretty good day so far -- it'll be nice if I can keep it up.

Lap 2 the gap was yet bigger & on Lap 3 I couldn't see anyone behind me on the switchbacks of the start/finish area. Sense of relief? Nope! Having the experience last year of losing a 1minute + lead and knowing Gort & Anikin both have shown strong second half race efforts in the past. I just felt the need to the keep the gas on, so if I had to I had room to spare if necessary at the end.

It was a pretty solitary race after that point, with the exception of this stealthy creature that was stalking me......


















Ok, ok.... maybe he looked alittle bit more like this.....


But it's no lie, Nikoli admitted to seeing it as well after the race. Now how can you miss a 'cross race where there are Bobcats, huh? Only BayCross!

Just over half way through the 9 laps (right on target for the hour finish this year -- thank you gentlemen!!!) I asked Kate for the time gap, she said 1:30min. I'm feeling good backed off just slightly knowing alot can still happen. So the next time through she said 1min... Aghh! I'm thinking, not good. Back to hammering, I can't lose this thing again like last year. Come to find out after the race (don't you hate finding out some things after the race?) that she was passing along what she heard from the start/finish person and misunderstood the 1 minute gap was between 2nd place Nikoli & 3rd place Shawn. She's a beyond awesome water bottle hand off person but gotta work on those timing skills.. :).

Finally the last lap, regardless of the time back provided I didn't flat or crash in "The P.O.D." I was still feeling strong & fairly confident I'd finally take home my first BayCross win. As it was I crossed the line in just over 58minutes and Nikolia rolled in at just over 1:01 for 2nd, Shawn at 1:02 for 3rd. Getting 3 & 4 minutes into guys like that I was grateful to be that "on" for the day. (Wondered if I'd have anything left for Day 2 however..).

The rest of the race was pretty good according to Kate & other fans/racers -- alot of back & forth contests. Tom Gaier & Scott Nesvold traded laps back & forth a good share of the race with Tom taking 4th, Scottie in 5th. Mike Weisphenning was having a real good day until his back started fighting him forcing him to drop back. Nick & Curt had a close 6 second difference in the finish. While Tom Meyer for his efforts on the day had a one screwy sounding hub for his single speed when it was over and Adam Tripp wrapped up the day on P.B's new 'cross bike giving the Kona Jake the Snake a thumbs up.


No comments: