Sunday, October 10, 2010

UPCross #2...

Had a such good time at UPCross #1, when the time, great weather & opportunity came up the following week how could I pass at taking up the 2nd venue those distinguished racers of the Upper Pennisula where putting together.

Was not at all disappointed.

UPCross #2 held in Old Town Negaunee -- really cool ghost town like feel. Without hatcheting the history too poorly -- it's basically part of Negaunee that long ago was abandoned and torn down due to the mining that took place underneath a great deal of that town. However their are remenants of house foundations, slidewalks and staircases abound that gives the weirdest vibe in what is otherwise a relatively mature forest of trees and wildlife. Gotta see it to believe it -- considering taking in the race sometime in the future.

The course itself was a mixtures of widesingle track, "mystery" sidewalks in the woods, some open roads and plenty of good sections to climb.

In the race I made some tactical errors at the start that I wish I could have changed. Tyler Gauthier having a stellar year hit the start really hard and instead of jumping to get on his wheel I backed off & let Tyler Jemma go in the 2nd spot. He was going fine but TG was already getting a gapped established. In an anxious effort to rush my first dismount & attempt to not let TG's gap get too big, I dropped my bike's chain on the first stair climb. Resulted in TG getting almost entirely out of sight &Tyler Jemma getting a 70 or 80 yard gap & watching 3 other guys go cruising by me as I massaged back on my chain.

Feeling pretty good that day I wasn't about to let my normal fast go-juice at the start of a race go to waste, so I set out to close things down to Jemma & hopefully work with him to reel in TG. As best as I recall by the end of the 2nd lap I caught & passed Jemma, saying it's time to go to work & get TG. Only bummer part was, (and I didn't get to confirm this with Jemma after the race as to why), but I would be the only one leading the chase the next 7 laps.

So round & round we went through our laps, a few times I'd put a dig in & push alittle harder otherwise I just keep as steady hard effort throughout and each time I'd put a bike length or more between us TJ would come back. He did an excellent job running on the barrier sections closing the distance I'd had each time. I just had absolutely no rhythm getting through those damn things at that race. (Fortunately I've been practicing since & I think I've got it down finally).

It was a great race and a day of alot of hard efforts. Much better than the previous week of just trying to keep up the pace & demand of a 'cross race. TG won in fine fashion. Some jostling on the final barriers left me to roll in 3rd after being 2nd place for 80% of the race. Jesse Bell took 4th.

Great group of guys (& gals) that get together for this UPCross series. I've got two of them in & really like the atmosphere & setup. Considering the relative remoteness of the series & population it has to draw from it's great to see the numbers they have attending the races.

One other note about UPCross #2, great MTB cross course. Not that alot of die hard cross bike guys want to hear that but it was nice... of course I'm biased in that regard.

No comments: