Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Cross Nationals…

..after a pre & post Christmas fitness slump from a nasty stomach flu, my energy level and some fresher legs showed up on the bike yesterday for the first time in 2 weeks. 

Might just have a decent go of things this Saturday & Sunday at Cyclo-Cross Nationals.  Really appreciate all the well wishes from so many people this past week about participating in Nationals.  I’ll be doing the Cat 1/2/3 40-44 Age group Championship race on Saturday at 10am, then with enough motivation I should give Sunday’s Championship race of Pro/Cat 1/2 at 2:15 a go as well. 

Just my luck that the two largest fields of participants are in both those races.  For good or bad --  a large part of the final outcome in these races with fields that big will come down to luck & good fortune… and the call up.   The benefit and bane of any race with large numbers of participants. 

So how does the “call up” work?   Well, someones gotta be the first on the start line and someone has to be in the back.  My guess is they will have rows of 8 racers wide, with 95+ participants in Saturdays race that’ll make for 12+ rows.  They base your starting position on an interesting but relatively complex formula that if you’re an engineer, accountant or other kinda number-head you might find it interesting.  Long story short, you’re granted points based on races you’ve done during the Cyclo-cross season.  But only races that participate in & play by the rules of the USA cycling program.  I skimmed through the guidelines but wanna say they take the 3 best of those races.  Good thing I at least did the 2 Badger Cross races & a MN ‘cross race.

Looks like I’ll be starting in 54 position on Saturday (even if I nail down 3rd overall at the Midwest Regional masters championship race…nice eh?) , and 89th on Sunday…. so 7 rows back & 12 rows back, nothing like a good challenge..   I’m confident however that my ending placement should be better than my starting place.

There’s really not too many good alternatives to this method, but it does force a rider to chase point races during the season.  And someone not having that geographical benefit of being able to do so it puts that rider at a disadvantage.

Narrowing it down to smaller fields with a qualifying race(s) would be a nice option.  I think anything more than 30 or 40 participants in a race of 45minutes to an hour on a course that is no wider than 10-15 feet, gives all those participants a reasonable chance.  Bigger fields than that & you could be the lance armstrong of cyclo-cross and starting in the rear you still couldn’t catch the front by the end of the race due to the traffic & volume of racers.

So Saturday, I’m going to be giving it my best and let the chips fall where they may.  Maybe I’ve got good legs, maybe I don’t – hopefully I’ve got a good story or two when it’s all over.

Sounds like a lot of friends and fans are going to be there!!  That may be one of the best parts about it.  Friends from up north are coming down to watch, a bunch from the UPCross scene, along with friends & fellow racers.  That’s going to be super awesome about the weekend just having such a big crowd of people cheering, yelling and screaming.  If you don’t get down there, go to the USA Cycling or some other websites and watch the live streaming coverage of the Elite Races on Sunday.  The weather is forecasted to be reasonably warm and good conditions, it’s gonna be a great time!!

No comments: