Saturday, December 24, 2011

Best of 2011…

In reflection of the year gone by, how could I pass on the opportunity to toast or roast my friends and fellow riders/racers and make mention of the events that made the year memorable. 

Most impressive ride: Ray “I took a shot of rum” Nelson – hanging on for dear life in top 30 for  2/3rds of Cheq 40, only to kicked ass up FireTower climb & ride away from his group for a top 20 finish.

Guys to have best upped their game this year:  Aaron Sturgis, Nate Lillie, Josh Tesch

Best funny guys to race with any day of the week:  Chad Sova, Nate Lillie

Best post race story:  Matt “I let my coolness get in the way” O’Meara

Best Comeback Rider of Year:  Hand’s down, no contest – Todd McFadden, nothing could take this guy down- lymes, injury, cold, flu.  Note to self: rumor has it, he may be part cyborg.

Best pre, post & during race friend:  Tom “I’ve been known to crush freehub body’s on torque alone” Carpenter. 

Best blog:  …ah, I read ‘em all!

Best beat down of me in Chequamegon 100:  Larry “his forearms are bigger than my thighs” Sauber.  Went on to drop me like a chain in a bad & dirty drivetrain.

Most missed on the racing scene: Kelly McKnight, Matt Hudson

Enduro-guy I miss most on the XC circuit: Charlie Farrow

Guy most willing to help: Tristan Schouten

Best Twitter feeds: @Ironchefmpls

Best inspirations: from close friends, family and racers of all abilities

*****************************

Best new MTB race: Deerfly Chase, Hickory Ridge Trails, Bloomer WI Oct 1st- Noah M.

Race that still comes back to conquer me – Chequamegon 40 (top 30 spot drop to finish post 100th)

Race who’s number I have dialed in – Ore to Shore Hard Rock (punctures both pre ride and during race and still manage stop a 24th place overall & 1st place 35-39)

Race I shoulda been tested for Performance Enhancers – BayCross Day 1 (best legs of season)

Best overall place for anything MTB' or ‘cross racing – anything U.P.

Worst time:… the Eastern time zone -- thank you Keweenaw Chain Drive for your 10am EDT start…agh! Oh well Matter & co. needed the 30minute headstart over me anyways.

 

…More to come…

3 comments:

Larry Sauber said...

Nice recap.

I need to shrink...

Merry Christmas.
LS

Larry Sauber said...

Nice recap.

I need to shrink.

Merry Christmas.

See you in 2012, somewhere on the trails.
LS

Aaron Sturgis said...

Here is to a truly great 2011 and hoping for another in 2012. hope you and the family are doing well.